Sunday, July 15, 2012

7/13/12 - Friday the 13th, and I thought 13 was my LUCKY number

Well.........Jeannie lived at lot 13 Meadowbrook, Clayton, AL, and I got lucky with her in more than just THAT way. After meeting up with her, I always considered it a "Lucky" number.
Slept in till about 8 am
Checked oil - ok, fuel 22 gal
10:15 am out the dock
10:45 am Jib up
11:15 am C'bd down 25, Main up, 4.5kts
2:50 pm sails only then a sudden windshift from starbord rear 1/4 to port rear 1/4
Boom swept over, boom ropes caught my arm, lucky(13) they didn't wrap me up and break my arm.
Now 6kts northbound, rain/tstorm moves r/l ahead and I pass behind it
5:30 pm wind dies out, engin 2000rpm, 6.5kts, storms S & E
6:00 pm Sails back up since the wind was good again, 5.5kts, storm comes from behind me and passes me over w/o problems(lucky 13)
6:30 pm The storm from rear is catching me so I decide to drop sails. Jib down quick.
Started with main, but had probs w/course, so back and forth from main to helm.
7:00 pm Due to storm, wind, unlucky feeling (13) decided to dop and anchor, nearly lost a finger when the rope jerked on the clat. I forgot to lock down the boom in the center(unlucky 13) and when the wind caught it it swept from starbord 60dg to port 60dg and the pully block took off the end stop of the pully rail.
Luckily(13) I saw it coming as soon as the sail rippled, and hit the deck in front of the helm.
The pulley & ropes caught some on the safety rail cable, then the boom went 60dg port.
The boat took a sharp port turn, and then wind brought boom back toward stbd.
The rope/pulley luckily(13) caught the stern mast support cable and wrapped around it.
This stopped the boom moving around.
Either the boom, ropes, or pully could have wacked me in the hear, or knocked me overboard.
Got boom tied off to cleats, got sail down, still bad wind, rain, lightning.
Decided to reset anchor to front cleat, backed down w/engine, pulled in rope, started to bow.
Wind catches me again, turns boat, anchor rope 5 ft from end before I get to bow.
Barely got on cleat one wrap and could not hold on. Last 2' of rope in my hand and almost had finger caught in the cleat. Bye bye -- (Unlucky 13) anchor and rope is LAS. Better than me!!!!
Got everything tied down, engine up, headed for Cedar Key. Hope to anchor there with 1 anchor left.
Damn, I sure need an autopilot installed (or someone to manage the helm) (Dave???)
Setting at helm writing this and still veering 20-30 degrees each way.
7:45 pm Yea, just 45 minutes for all that!!!!! 2100rpm, 5.3kts, on motor
8:30 pm Check lights, (13) Bow lites and anchor lites not working.
9:00 pm Can't find problem, must be short, blew 10 amp fuse
2100rpm, using flashlight to check course, and sweep horizon, (13) nobody around
12:00pm, midnight, stop at Seahorse Key and anchor.
1:30 am wind picks up (13) too much to sleep, 4ft waves, decide to go to lee side of the island.
2:00am depart under motor, no lights, nav by GPS & compass, arrive inside key at 4:30am
Windy but just a light chop

My Friday the 13th is over!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment